Have your Strata conducted their safety audit on replacing and maintaining child window safety devices?
Due to the increase in accidents with children falling out of windows, there was an amendment to the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015, making it mandatory for residential strata schemes to fit suitable safety devices on apartment common area windows.
Has it been over 12 months since the installation or certification of the safety devices in your strata scheme? If yes, the windows may no longer be compliant. To meet the requirements of the Strata Schemes Management Act, the Owners Corporation will need to decide at the next general meeting if they should do the following:
- Instruct the Strate Body to initiate a survey of all owners and request confirmation on the status of windows;
- Engage a suitably qualified company to access and test all existing windows installed.
The existing that fall under the Act is:
- Windows within the residence;
- Windows that open have a 2 metre or more significant fall on the outside and are 1.7 metres or less on the inside;
- Must withstand a force equivalent to a 25.5 kg weight.
All windows should:
A locking or permanent device is installed to ensure the window opening is not greater than 12.5 centimetres or;
Window bars or sturdy mesh screens installed that withstand the requisite pressure test;
Permanently shut or obstructed by an immovable object or;
Listed as exempt by the appointed supplier.
Select Windows services Strata Blocks replacing windows, balcony doors and building entry doors to apartment blocks. We offer both aluminium and timber solutions with a selection of glazing options. Need a quote for replacement Strata Windows & Doors. Call today 02 9938 1500.